by Chenette Dagooc
Honey has been used as home remedies for numerous ailments among all group of age. Honey is used by the ayurvedic physicians over 3000 years as the best vehicle for almost all medicines.
Honey has a fabulous history for its wide application as food and medicines among all ethnical groups all over the world.
Here are some common home remedies which gives instant relief from ailments and prevents costly medical intervention and much pain.
For respiratory problems:
· Adding two teaspoons of honey and juice of half a lemon in a glass of hot water can make a drink of sore throats.
1/2 tsp. of Black pepper powder, 1/4 tsp. of long pepper powder and 1 tsp. of honey mixture is useful to overcome sore throat.
· Dried ginger powder 1/2 tsp, 2-3 black pepper cones, 2-3 cloves, 2-3 cardamom, 1/2 tsp.
Cummins seeds should be boiled and add little tea leaves and honey and can be had hot. It gives good relief of the throat pain, cold, and cough.
It can be taken two to three times in a day.
· Honey is free of unnecessary herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers, bee antibiotics and other substances that can harm your health.
· Honey is used to remove phlegm. Take 8- 10 tulsi leaves, 1-2 cloves of garlic, 1/2 inch piece ginger crushed and 3-4 black pepper cones, boil it in 1 cup of water.
Add 1 tsp. of honey to this and drink it warm. This is good for cold and cough with phlegm.
· Honey mixed with weak tea is useful for gargles in irritant cough.
Mix equal parts of ginger juice and honey and have it 2-3 times in a day which is good for cough.
Ginger powder, black pepper powder and honey is also good for dry cough and can be had 3-4 times in a day.
Pepper powder, dry ginger powder, liquorice root powder and honey mixture is good for dry cough.
1 tsp. turmeric, 2-3 tsp. ginger juice, 2-3 tsp. lime juice and 3 tsp. honey can be mixed and taken 3 times for cough in a day.
· Asafoetida is useful in the treatment of respiratory disorders like whooping cough, asthma and bronchitis.1 tsp. of asafoetida mixed with honey will help to keep away these disorders.
· A pinch of turmeric and one teaspoon of honey in warm milk can be taken daily for children and adults who get frequent colds.
For gastrointestinal problems:
· Honey 50 ml per litre is recommended instead of sugar in the oral rehydration fluid.
· Honey and ginger helps in proper digestion and prevents stomach diseases. Ginger juice is made with a teaspoon of freshly squeezed juice of ginger and lime and a teaspoon of honey in hot water.
· The nutmeg should be powdered and mixed with honey and can be taken during diarrhoea. It can be given to small children also. 1 teaspoon twice or thrice can be taken.
· One spoon of fresh honey mixed with the juice of half a lemon in a glass of lukewarm water taken first thing in the morning is very effective for constipation, hyperacidity, and obesity.
Antiseptic properties and beauty care
Honey is useful for the skin diseases. It can be applied externally for wounds, sores, and burns. It is also believed to minimise disfiguring scar.
Honey, turmeric, and gram flour is very good face pack. It can be applied for 15 - 20 minutes and washed off with water.